Zucchini bread

So I am a big believer that food should be more than just what tastes good.  I love the part in Ratatouille where the critic tastes the food and is transported back to a particular memory.  Food should be about bringing people together and creating memories together.  My grandma's zucchini bread is one of those foods that reminds me of Christmas.  For as long as I can remember she has made it every year for Christmas.  She spends hours making the bread in the mini bread pans and individually wrapping them.  When I eat her zucchini bread I think of how much I love her and all of the good memories I have.  That is what food is about.


The zucchini bread is moist and dense, exactly how I think it should be.  I lather on the butter and I even like putting a little, or a lot depending on the mood, of strawberry jam.  Speaking of strawberry jam, that is just another food that makes me think of my childhood.  My mom makes the best strawberry jam that I love to put on everything.  She doesn't make it as frequently anymore but when she does I savor every last drop.  Bake, share, and enjoy, because that is really how it should be done.


Zucchini Bread





3 eggs
1 cup oil
2 cups peeled, grated zucchini
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups sugar
3 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3 tsp cinnamon
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup nuts (optional)


(If you have a blender, zucchini can be made up that way until smooth).  Beat eggs with electric mixer until foamy.  Add oil, zucchini, sugar, and vanilla.  Mix well.  Add all dry ingredients except raisins and nuts.  Mix in well and beat at medium speed for 2 minutes.  Fold in raisins and nuts.  Grease and flour 2 loaf pans.  Pour 1/2 in each pan.  Place on lower rack.  Bake at 325 degrees for 60 to 80 minutes.  Test doneness with toothpick.  Let cool 10 minutes.  Turn onto wire rack.




Labels:

Jonesin' For Taste: Zucchini bread

Monday, January 25, 2010

Zucchini bread

So I am a big believer that food should be more than just what tastes good.  I love the part in Ratatouille where the critic tastes the food and is transported back to a particular memory.  Food should be about bringing people together and creating memories together.  My grandma's zucchini bread is one of those foods that reminds me of Christmas.  For as long as I can remember she has made it every year for Christmas.  She spends hours making the bread in the mini bread pans and individually wrapping them.  When I eat her zucchini bread I think of how much I love her and all of the good memories I have.  That is what food is about.


The zucchini bread is moist and dense, exactly how I think it should be.  I lather on the butter and I even like putting a little, or a lot depending on the mood, of strawberry jam.  Speaking of strawberry jam, that is just another food that makes me think of my childhood.  My mom makes the best strawberry jam that I love to put on everything.  She doesn't make it as frequently anymore but when she does I savor every last drop.  Bake, share, and enjoy, because that is really how it should be done.


Zucchini Bread





3 eggs
1 cup oil
2 cups peeled, grated zucchini
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups sugar
3 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3 tsp cinnamon
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup nuts (optional)


(If you have a blender, zucchini can be made up that way until smooth).  Beat eggs with electric mixer until foamy.  Add oil, zucchini, sugar, and vanilla.  Mix well.  Add all dry ingredients except raisins and nuts.  Mix in well and beat at medium speed for 2 minutes.  Fold in raisins and nuts.  Grease and flour 2 loaf pans.  Pour 1/2 in each pan.  Place on lower rack.  Bake at 325 degrees for 60 to 80 minutes.  Test doneness with toothpick.  Let cool 10 minutes.  Turn onto wire rack.




Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home